COVID-19 Information and Update (3/13/2020)
An Update from our CEO
With the developing news regarding COVID-19 (Coronavirus) and the continued spread of Influenza A and B (flu) in the Midwest, I want to share with you some of the precautions Easterseals Midwest takes every day to ensure the health and well-being of the individuals we support and the staff that support them.
We follow guidelines from the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), we also partner with local and national agencies that focus specifically on healthcare for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD). We actively participate in meetings, conferences, conversations, and strategy development around healthcare for people with IDD while being vigilant in our internal practices to keep everyone healthy and well informed.
Practices to prevent the spread of any illness remain a foundational priority in our delivery of services and include, but are not limited to, the following safety precautions for our staff and those they serve:
- Frequent hand-washing with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds per hand.
- Avoidance in touching eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Frequent cleaning and disinfecting of objects and surfaces.
- Staying home and away from others when ill.
We have long had policies in place to combat communicable viruses and diseases. These policies are regularly reviewed by our healthcare professionals in partnership with the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services.
Following our organizational policy, we have implemented a 12 member Coronavirus Task Force to address questions, concerns, and to communicate updates surrounding this situation. This group:
- Oversees assessments of those we support to create individualized plans.
- Communicates daily/weekly with staff members on any updates to policies or procedures.
- Oversees weekly team meetings to determine if further action is required.
Easterseals will continue to monitor the ongoing protocols and recommendations from our local, state, and federal partners related to both the Coronavirus and the flu.
If you have any questions, please contact me by replying to this email. Thank you for your trust in and support of Easterseals.Best,
Chief Executive Officer