Your actions make a difference in the lives of people with disabilities. Easterseals believes that everyone, regardless of ability, should have a life of opportunity, independence and contribution. As a member of our community, you have an opportunity to shape policy around causes you believe in and improve the lives of people in our community. Join us in making the world a better, more inclusive place—through advocacy, we can help people of all ages and abilities reach their full potential.
Learn more about our current legislative priorities.
• Raise community awareness around disability and disability issues
• Create opportunities for people with disabilities to live and participate
in their own communities
• Eliminate barriers for people with disabilities so that public spaces are
safe and accessible
• Expand opportunities for civic access
• Ensure equal access to new and emerging technology
• Pursue equal employment opportunities for people of all abilities
• Provide access to safe, affordable housing for people with disabilities
Meet your state Representative and Senators. Tell a personal story to educate them about people with developmental disabilities.
Get Active in your community. Speak up at public forums, school board meetings or other events and encourage your elected officials to remember people with developmental disabilities while in office.
Attend your Representative or Senator’s fundraiser or town hall. Cultivate a relationship with them and share your story.
Plan a tour of Easterseals Midwest’s programs and invite your Representative or Senator. We can help you set it up.
Invite your Representative or Senator and a representative of Easterseals Midwest to coffee. Discuss critical service needs in an informal setting and share the expertise of our staff.
Write a letter to your local newspaper editor. Help educate the community about inclusion and people with developmental disabilities.