What is Inter-Generational Programming?
The Harry & Jeanette Weinberg Inter-Generational Center is a worldwide model of excellence for serving people with disabilities. By providing programs for seniors, adults, and children in a shared center, Easterseals DC MD VA creates opportunities for everyone to contribute at all stages of life through daily multi-generational activities. We are working to build a society that truly values people of all ages and abilities. The Easterseals DC MD VA inter-generational center is located at our headquarters in Silver Spring, Maryland.
Child Development Center (CDC)
Adult Day Services (ADS)
Respite & Caregiver Support
Veteran Staffing Network (VSN)
Benefits of shared site inter-generational programming include:
- Quality and caring services for adults and children
- Enhanced quality of life for all participants
- Improved attitude about different age groups
- Enhanced social skills
- Improved academic performance/learning stimulation
- Increased stability/emotional support
- Improved health
Research indicates that participants in inter-generational shared sites benefit both children and adults.
- Preschool children had higher social developmental scores
- Children gained enhanced perceptions of persons with disabilities and older adults
- Children had improved reading scores
- Older adults experience fewer falls and perform better on memory tests
- The majority of adult participants reported feeling happy, loved, and younger