This unique camp is a week-long, fully accessible camp experience held at YMCA Camp Oakes in Big Bear, which is fully accredited through the American Camp Association and offers people with disabilities the same excitement and activities available at other camps.
Since 1974, campers and volunteers from all walks of life have come together for one magical week of camp. Activities include crafts, hayrides, talent shows, dances, swimming, canoeing, archery, hiking, concerts, storytelling, and a high and low ropes course.
- The camp elevation is 7,300 feet
- Minimum camper age is 14 years old
- The camp is co-ed and campers must have some means of communication.
- The counselor to camper ratio is approximately 1:2.
- Campers are assigned to male or female cabins, which may be dorms or 3-sided cabins
- Restrooms and showers are available
- A registered nurse is on 24-hour duty
Easterseals Camp Update
We are excited to announce that Easterseals Camp 2024 will be held from July 28-August 3!
Applications are available in June.
Applications will be available on April 1.
2024 Easterseals Camp Volunteers:
Apply April 1st.
- Volunteers must be age 18+
- Volunteer Counselors-in-Training must be 14+
- Volunteers must attend the entire week-long event from July 27 to August 3, 2024
- Volunteers are assigned one or two campers and are responsible for their health and safety, as well as ensuring they have an exceptional time with their friends
- Food and accommodations will be provided
- No previous camp experience is needed
- Applications open April 1.
Please feel free to reach out to Camp Director Amanda Showalter if you have any additional questions.
Donate Online to Support Camp!
Easterseals Camp relies on donations to ensure that anyone who wishes to experience the joys and challenges of camp in a fully-accessible setting can attend. Donate today and support a week of fun and enjoyment for campers and a respite for their families.
Chose from one of three gift designations:
1. Camper Payment: Donate to support a specific camper. Enter their name in the "Honoree" section of the donation form.
2. Special Camp Fund: Donate to the camp volunteer leadership fundraising campaign which supports camperships, and projects designed to make camp more accessible for all.
- Click 'Donate to Camp!'
- Select "Camp" from the drop-down menu
- Enter the amount and frequency, then click Donate.
To Donate by Check or Money Order:
Please make your check payable to "Easterseals"
Easterseals Southern California
Attn: Special Camp Fund
1063 McGaw Ave. Suite #100
Irvine, CA 92614
The Camp Experience
Watch this video to learn more about Easterseals Camp.
You can also view this video at this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuM3CIJuKO0
"Going to camp opened my eyes and changed the person I was inside and out. I saw how everyone was being treated and I realized that all I wanted all these years was... to be treated like everyone else. This is the best experience I ever had." - Lora Glassman
For more information please email the Camp Program Director or call 951.264.4855