Camping & Recreation
Easterseals Camp is a week-long fully accessible camp experience held at YMCA Camp Oakes in Big Bear, which is fully accredited through the American Camp Association and offers people with disabilities the same excitement and activities available at other camps.
For more than 40 years, campers and volunteers from all walks of life have come together for one magical week of camp. Activities include crafts, hayrides, talent shows, dances, swimming, canoeing, archery, hiking, concerts, storytelling, and a high and low ropes course.
- The camp elevation is 7,300 feet
- Minimum camper age is 14 years old
- The camp is co-ed and campers must have some communication skills
- The counselor to camper ratio is approximately 1:2.
- Campers stay in dormitories or 3-sided cabins
- Restrooms and showers are available
- A registered nurse is on 24-hour duty
Easterseals Camp Update
We are excited to announce that Easterseals Camp 2023 will be held from July 30-August 5!
The application will be available on June 1, 2023.
The application will be available on April 1, 2023.
The 2023 rate for campers is $1,248. Limited camperships may be available. Please see the camper application for more information.
2023 Easterseals Camp Volunteers:
- Volunteers must be age 18+
- Volunteers must attend the entire week-long event from July 30 to August 5
- Volunteers are assigned one or two campers and are responsible for their health and safety, as well as ensuring they have an exceptional time with their friends
- Food and accommodations will be provided
- No previous camp experience is needed
- Submit the application by April 1, 2023
Please feel free to reach out to Camp Director Amanda Showalter if you have any additional questions.
Donate Online to Support Camp!
Easterseals Camp relies on donations to ensure that anyone who wishes to experience the joys and challenges of camp in a fully-accessible setting can attend. Donate today and support a week of fun and enjoyment for campers and a respite for their families.
Chose from one of three gift designations:
1. Camp: Donate towards Easterseals Camp expenses.
2. Camper Payment: Donate to support a specific camper. Enter their name in the "Honoree" section of the donation form.
3. Special Camp Fund: Donate to the camp volunteer leadership fundraising campaign which supports camperships, and projects designed to make camp more accessible for all.
To Donate by Check or Money Order:
Please make your check payable to "Easterseals"
Easterseals Southern California
Attn: Special Camp Fund
401 S. Ivy Street
Escondido, CA 92025
The Camp Experience
Watch this video to learn more about Easterseals Camp.
You can also view this video at this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuM3CIJuKO0
"Going to camp opened my eyes and changed the person I was inside and out. I saw how everyone was being treated and I realized that all I wanted all these years was... to be treated like everyone else. This is the best experience I ever had." - Lora Glassman
For more information please email the Camp Program Director or call 951.264.4855.