Speech and Language Therapy
Easterseals Michigan (ESM) Speech and Language therapy program provides functional communication skills for children with disabilities and other special needs, such as Cerebral Palsy, ASD, Down syndrome, learning disabilities, and developmental delays.
Children who need Speech & Language Therapy:
- Cannot speak nine words by 16 months
- Do not use two-word sentences by age two
- Do not use three-word sentences by age three
- Do not understand or recognize common objects or simple instructions
- Do not speak as much or as clearly as their same-aged peers
Therapy helps children by:
- Assessing speech, language and communication needs
- Strengthening receptive and expressive language development
- Enhancing auditory processing
- Addressing Augmentative and Alternate Communication (AAC) needs
- Treating voice disorders and stuttering
- Improving intelligibility
Expert Speech & Language Pathologists
All ESM therapy treatments are provided by Speech and Language Pathologists (SLP’s) who are certified by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA) and specialize in pediatric services. They work closely with each child’s family, school, physician and other health care practitioners to set treatment goals that are personalized and realistic.
Family involvement is a critical component of therapy. Therapists provide both direct treatment and developmental information activities which can be implemented between therapy sessions. ESM Speech and Language Therapy offers:
- On-site therapy at our Flint, Southfield and Waterford locations
- Individual or small groups which meet once or twice a week
- Ongoing school year sessions running from September through June
- An eight-week summer session
In Southeast Michigan, you can receive your Speech and Language Therapy packet by calling Easterseals Michigan's Family Services at 800.75.SEALS.
In West Michigan, you can receive your Speech and Language Therapy packet by calling Easterseals Michigan's Grand Rapids location at 616.942.2081.