Health and Wellness
Medical Rehabilitation Services
Medical rehabilitation helps our wounded, ill and injured veterans live as independently as possible. Successful rehabilitation is influenced by the positive belief that individuals can make up for the loss of one sense or ability by training, practicing and focusing on their other senses and abilities – rather than focusing on the disability. Services offered by Easterseals affiliates include:
- Occupational therapy: Occupational therapy focuses on developing a person’s ability to do the things they need to do to take care of themselves. Easterseals’ licensed occupational therapists and certified occupational therapy assistants focus on developing a person’s ability to do the things needed to take care of themselves and achieve independence in self-care, work, school, and play.
- Speech-language pathology (speech therapy): Speech pathologists, sometimes called speech therapists, help people learn speech and language. They also treat swallowing and feeding problems.
- Recreational therapy: Recreational therapy incorporates the goals of therapy for our wounded, ill and injured into fun, everyday activities. Special techniques and equipment allow participants to take part in individual and team sports, exercise and craft classes, adapted swimming, outings and camping.
- Mental health: Combat is one of the most stressful human experiences, contributing to war trauma, Post-Traumatic Stress (PTS) and/or other mental health issues. Our affiliates can conduct early screening and provide referrals to services such as cognitive behavioral therapy, group therapy, interpersonal therapy, and support groups.
- Assistive Technology: Assistive technology helps those with disabilities rehabilitate and adapt, using devices to assist them in daily tasks.
Adult Day Services
Adult day services provide both therapeutic and social benefits for our aging veteran population as well as younger veterans with disabilities and significant injuries. Easterseals works with the Easterseals Serving DC | MD | VA's Central Office to improve the contracting process and guidelines for adult day services. Most Easterseals adult day service centers have contracts with the Department of Veterans Affairs to provide these adult day services, which are a benefit offered to veterans under the Millennium Healthcare Act.