Military & Veteran Caregivers
Caregiving is in Easterseals’ DNA — it’s at the heart of everything we do. This is especially true in our services and supports for military veterans and their families.
We strive to ensure military caregivers can access what they need to take on the enormous responsibility of caregiving—often, while still needing to work, navigate family life and take care of themselves. We embrace and support military caregivers, particularly as they transition into this new experience, life-long trajectory and unfamiliar — yet vital role — within their families and communities.
Our national network supports military caregivers across the lifespan. From training to respite services, Easterseals makes a profound, positive and life-changing difference in people’s lives every day.
With a long history of service to the veteran community dating back to World War II, Easterseals is a proud Hidden Heroes Elizabeth Dole Foundation partner and offers a wide variety of supports for military caregivers and their families through respite care, inclusive childcare, employment and career services, transportation, behavioral/physical health services and advocacy at the federal and local levels. Services include:
- Military caregiver tobacco cessation tool kit. We've partnered with the CVS Health Foundation and the American Lung Association to offer these great new resources. Also listen to our online Living Tobacco Free presentation for military & veteran caregivers.
- Free Military Caregiving Education: Check out the hour-long on-demand educational online sessions available 24/7 for all military caregivers, providing tips and tools on topics including depression, childcare, intimacy, hearing loss, caregiver self-care and home safety. Select sessions are available in Spanish. Easterseals developed this series in partnership with The Elizabeth Dole Foundation and other military service and caregiving partners. Review past webinars.
- Military Caregiver Training: Through a contract with the Department of Veteran Affairs (VA) from 2011-2017, Easterseals administered an in-person, online and self-study workbook training caregivers in collaboration with Atlas Research, Family Caregiver Alliance, National Alliance for Caregiving and National Alliance for Hispanic Health. More than 38,000 caregivers benefitted from these sessions with over 4,000 attending in-person self-care courses. Learn more about the VA Caregiver Support program.
- Center-based Adult Day Services or in-home services: Easterseals is the premier provider of center-based adult day programs. These are available for caregivers of older veterans with physical and/or cognitive concerns. Learn more.
- Respite care: We offer a variety of respite options for military families. Examples include those families who have members with special needs through local partnerships with Childcare Aware of America as part of the US Navy and US Air Force Exceptional Family Member Program. Easterseals also partners with ARCH National Respite to as part of the Elizabeth Dole Foundation. We also partner with the University of Maryland’s Legacy Corps program that provides in-home respite for service members/veterans and their families at locations across the U.S.
Our Work in Action
Watch: Easter Seals caregiver, Andrea Simone and Dole Fellow, Betty Easly, join Hallmark "Home and Family"
Watch: "Elizabeth Dole honors Hidden Heroes" (via Windy City Live
Today’s Caregiver Cover story
Bringing Help and Hope to Those who Care for U.S. Veterans
Local Success Stories and Services
Camp Yellow Ribbon gives military families a break with a week of free fun
US Air Force Exceptional Family Member Respite Program
Operation Family Caregiver
Military Respite: Air Force and Navy Respite Care
Hidden Heroes Website
Hidden Heroes Military Caregiving Study
Veterans Affairs Caregiver Support
Easterseals Services for Caregivers