For more than 90 years Easterseals Iowa has been providing services to support individuals with disabilities in our Iowa communities, ensuring the individuals we support live with independence and dignity, while supporting the entire family caring for a loved one with a disability. We invite you to join us by leaving a legacy of support for this important work. Thank you to our current Legacy Society donors.
Your Legacy Gift Supports
- More than 3,500 clients
- Clients in all of Iowa’s 99 counties
- Fifteen different programs provided by Easterseals Iowa
- Clients to gain employment, health and wellness, daily living skills and independence
Why Make a Planned Gift
- Your planned gift to Easterseals Iowa expresses your commitment to individuals with disabilities and provides for the future as part of your legacy.
- As a member of the Legacy Society, you can show your personal passion by remembering Easterseals Iowa in your will, trust or other planned gift. No gift has more lasting impact.
- Planned gifts take $0 out of the bank account today, so it’s perfect for donors of all levels.
- In all situations, post-life estates go to either family, the government or charity. You can both provide for your family and then ensure your charitable wishes are honored by designating your gift to Easterseals Iowa.
- Planned gifts ensure a great future. According to Bryan Clontz, President and Co-Founder of Charitable Solutions, LLC, “By 2030 if your nonprofit does not have 20% of its operating budget covered by a 5% endowment distribution, it is probable it will cease to exist.”
- The impact of 400 Annual Gifts = the impact of 1 Planned Gift (Philanthropy 100 Performance Benchmarking Initiative)
Examples of Legacy Gifts Include
- Gifts through your Will: Gifts made through your will or estate plan can be unrestricted, residual or contingent and can define a specific amount or percentage of your estate.
- Life Income Gifts: A charitable gift annuity or charitable remainder trust offer a lifetime of payments to you and/or a loved one while providing support for Easterseals Iowa.
- Gifts of Real Estate: When you make an outright, irrevocable gift of real property to Easterseals Iowa, you may be eligible for charitable income tax deductions equal to the full, fair market value of the property. You may also reduce the capital gains tax. Gifts of real estate can also be used to fund a charitable remainder trust that provides payments back to you during your lifetime.
- Tax-Wise Gifts with Retirement Plans: If you have accumulated funds in a company retirement plan (401(k) or 403 (b)) or in an IRA beyond your needs, you can make a gift from such an account. If your gift is made post-life through your will, you may be able to avoid income and estate taxes, making these the most tax advantageous gifts you can make.
- Other Creative Gifts: Other gifts may be made through life insurance, savings bonds and other assets.
- Endow Iowa Gifts: Make gifts during your lifetime to our Endow Iowa Fund, and you can receive a 25% Iowa tax credit in addition to normal federal charitable income tax deductions for certain charitable gifts.
Suggested Language for Bequests
I give to the Easter Seals Society of Iowa, Inc., the sum of ____ dollars/ ____ percentage of my estate for its general purposes. The Easter Seal Society of Iowa, Inc. is an Iowa non-profit corporation, Tax ID# 42-0707100, whose principal office is currently located at 401 NE 66th Avenue, Des Moines, Iowa, or its successor in interest. My express intent is that this gift be made to and used exclusively by said organization, and not made to or used by, in whole or in part, any other Easter Seals-affiliated organization, whether local or national in nature.
Making your Gift to Easterseals Iowa
If you have already arranged for a planned gift, we would like to honor your support. If you are still considering a gift, please let us know so we can help you and your advisors complete your gift in a way that benefits your estate and makes clear your intention to support Easterseals Iowa. You can contact us at 515-309-9774.