Last Updated April 19, 2023
Easter Seals, Inc. (d/b/a "Easterseals") ("we," "our," or "us") understands that data privacy and the protection of personal information is important to you. This Privacy Notice explains how we collect, use and share your personal information, and your rights and choices regarding the personal information we collect about you.
Please read this Notice carefully to understand our policies and practices regarding your personal information and how we will process it. You can also click on the links below to navigate to a specific section.
- Scope of Notice
- Personal Information Collection
- How We Use Personal Information
- How We Disclose Personal Information
- Easterseals Affiliate Members
- Links to Other Sites
- Security of Personal Information
- Transmission of Health-Related Information
- Retention of Personal Information
- Your Rights and Choices Regarding your Personal Information
- International Transfers of Personal Information
- Information from Children
- Changes to this Notice
- Contact Us
1. Scope of Notice
This Privacy Notice applies to all donors, members, website visitors, business partners, employees, job applicants, and individuals who otherwise interact with Easterseals whom we collect personal information from. We often refer to your interactions with us as using our "services" throughout this Notice.
2. Personal Information Collection
We collect a variety of information as part of our operations, including personal information and other information. "Personal information" is any information that identifies, relates to, describes, is reasonably capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with an identifiable individual.
a. How We Collect Personal Information
Easterseals collects information, including personal information, from and about its donors, event attendees and program participants, individuals who interact with our affiliate members, employees and job applicants, individuals who visit our website and other individuals who choose to interact with us. We collect information from or about you in the following ways:
- Directly from you. We collect information directly from you when you make a donation, create a user profile on our website, attend an event or program we are offering, apply for employment or gain employment with us, when you visit our website, and when you otherwise voluntarily submit or provide information to us.
- Automatically. When you visit and interact with our website, we collect information automatically through cookies. For more information about cookies on our website, please visit the section below titled "Cookies."
- From our Affiliate Members. We rely on our affiliate members to provide us with information about the individuals they provide services to and interact with so that we can understand the impact of our and our affiliate members' programs and services, yield actionable insights, and drive future-forward decision making to ensure that our services and programs make the most impact in the communities we serve.
- From Other Sources. We may collect information about you from other sources and we may combine information from other sources with information we collect through our services or interactions with you. Examples of the other sources we most frequently collect information from includes national donor data bases and registries, and companies that compile mailing lists about individuals.
b. Types of Personal Information We Collect
The types of personal information we collect depends on how you interact with us, including whether the interaction is through one of our affiliate members or directly with us. In many cases, the personal information we collect will be apparent from the context in which you provide the information.
We collect the following types of personal information from you depending on how you interact with us (i.e., donor, employee, etc.).
|Categories of Personal Information||Categories of individuals|
|Contact Information. This includes your name, mailing address, email address, social media handle, or other similar identifiers.||
|Identification Information. This includes your SSN, driver's license number, passport number, or similar legal identification information.||
|Profile Information. This includes information about your activity and interactions with us, including your donor tendencies and donation history, information you voluntarily provide to us or that we collect from other sources regarding your interests, preferences, and characteristics. We compile this information we collect about you to better understand you.||
|Health Information. This is information about your health, disability, or medical condition which may include "Protected Health Information" (PHI).||
|Financial Information. This includes information about your wealth and financial status, income, credit card, bank account, or payment information.||
|Location Information. This includes information about your location.||
|Professional or Employment-Related Information. Current or past job history or performance evaluations.||
|Internet or other similar network activity. Browsing history, search history, information on your interaction with a website, application, or advertisement.||
|Interaction Information. This includes information about your attendance at events we host or programs we sponsor, as well as information about correspondence with us and other ways you interact with us.||
|Sensitive Personal Information. We may collect certain sensitive personal information including race, gender, and age information. This information is collected in aggregate form.||
We may not collect all of the above categories of information from each category of individual who interacts with us. Please note that if you voluntarily provide us with additional information when you interact with us that does not fit one of these categories of information or individuals set forth above, we will collect the information and use it for the purposes you direct or that we disclose to you.
As noted above, in certain circumstances, we may also collect "Protected Health Information." "Protected Health Information" ("PHI") is individually identifiable health information. We sometimes collect PHI when we gather information about the effectiveness of our programs in order to understand whether a program that we or our affiliate members offered resulted in improved outcomes for the individuals or communities our programs are designed to serve.
3. How We Use Personal Information
We use personal information for our legitimate business purposes to further our mission and for other purposes disclosed to you at the time data is collected. More specifically, we use personal information in the following ways:
- Provide our services, programs, and events to the communities and individuals we serve.
- Send you confirmations about event or program registration, or donations.
- Process donations and gifts made to Easterseals or our affiliate members.
- Understand our donor base and potential donors.
- Measure the effectiveness of our services, programs, and events, including services, programs, and events offered by our affiliate members.
- Communicate with you about our services, programs, events, happenings, and news.
- Respond to your comments, inquiries, and customer service requests.
- Market our events, services, programs, and potential donor opportunities to you. You may opt-out of marketing communications at any time.
- Provide you with employment, or consider you for employment with Easterseals.
- Process payroll and other benefits afforded to our employees.
- Improve and personalize our content and services.
- Monitor and analyze trends regarding our services, programs, and events, including services, programs, and events offered by our affiliate members.
- Protect against and prevent fraud, unauthorized transactions, and manage risk exposure.
- Enforce our legal rights and agreements.
- Comply with applicable legal requirements.
- Carry out any other purpose you consent to, that we disclose to you at the time your data is collected, or that you direct us to.
We may aggregate and de-identify personal information we collect from you to understand the effectiveness of our programs, services, and offerings, as well as to understand our donor base and donor trends. When we aggregate or de-identify information, it is no longer personally identifiable.
4. How We Disclose Personal Information
Easterseals may share your personal information in the following circumstances, and as otherwise described in this Notice:
- Affiliate Members. We share information with our affiliate members in order to understand and improve the impact of our and our affiliate members' programs, services, and offerings. Please see the section below titled "Easterseals Affiliate Members" for more information.
- Service Providers, Vendors, and Consultants. We rely on third parties to perform functions on our behalf. Some of these service providers include marketing service providers, payment service providers who help us process donations and pay our employees, cloud storage providers, website hosting platforms, client relationship management providers, HR or employee benefits providers, and content providers. We endeavor to ensure written agreements are in place with all service providers, vendors, and consultants where feasible and appropriate. All service providers, vendors, and consultants are required to use the information we disclose to them at our direction and only for the purpose(s) for which it was disclosed to them, and they are required to adhere to security and confidentiality measures.
- List Rental and Exchange Program. We may share certain information about our donors with national donor registration and list service providers in order to grow our donor base and more effectively reach current and prospective donors. If you do not wish for your information to be shared with these third parties, you may opt-out by contacting us via a method set forth in the "Contact Us" section below or by visiting our website and contacting us through a means listed on our website. If you would like to know which third parties participate in the list rental and exchange program, you may also contact us via one of the methods listed below.
- Law Enforcement Agencies, Courts, Regulators, Government Authorities, or Other Third Parties. We may disclose your information: 1) to apply with a legal obligation or court order; 2) when we believe in good faith that the law requires it; 3) at the request of governmental authorities conducting an investigation; 4) to verify or enforce our policies, procedures, terms of service, and other agreements, or to protect the rights, property, safety, and security of Easterseals, our members, vendors, business partners, service providers, affiliate members, website visitors, or the public; 5) to respond to an emergency; or 6) when we believe it is necessary or appropriate to prevent physical harm or financial loss, or in connection with an investigation of suspected or actual illegal activity.
- Successor Entities, Buyers, Transfers and Mergers and Acquisitions. We may disclose your information to a buyer, potential buyer, successor in interest, or to an organization in connection with a bankruptcy, transfer, merger or acquisition, or other transfer of some or all of Easterseals' or an affiliate's assets, which may include your information. If this occurs, we will endeavor to ensure that the successor entity uses your personal information in accordance with this Privacy Notice, or provides you with notice and a choice about future use of your personal information.
5. Easterseals Affiliate Members
Easterseals has a number of affiliate members throughout the United States who interact directly with the populations we serve by bringing Easterseals' mission and work directly into the community in which the affiliate member operates. While our affiliate member organizations are associated with and use Easterseals branding, they may have their own practices regarding how they collect, use, share, and retain information when you interact with them.
As described above, affiliate members share information with us, and we share information with our affiliate members. This information sharing occurs so that we can understand the impact of our and our affiliate members' programs and services, yield actionable insights, and drive future-forward decision making so that we can continue to further the Easterseals' mission of equity, inclusion, and access for individuals with disabilities.
Easterseals' website may contain links to other sites, including to our affiliate members, as well as links to non-affiliated third parties, such as social networks or business partners. These linked sites may have personal information collection, use, and disclosure practices that differ from Easterseals' practices. We encourage you to review the privacy policies of websites that you visit before sharing your personal information with them. Please also be aware that if you disclose personal information, PHI, or other sensitive information through public forums, at an event, or on online message boards, this information may be used by others. We take no responsibility for the content, security, or confidentiality of any information posted on or conveyed in these public spaces.
7. Security of Personal Information
Easterseals knows that information security is of the utmost important to our donors, affiliate members, website visitors, and individuals whose information we collect. We maintain reasonable technical, administrative, physical, and organizational safeguards in proportion to the sensitivity of information we collect that are designed to prevent unauthorized access, use, and disclosure of personal information.
However, no electronic data transmission or processing of personal information is completely secure, so we cannot guarantee the security of personal information. We encourage you to assist us with securing your personal information by using a strong password and not disclosing your login credentials, where applicable, to anyone. If we become aware of an incident that affects your personal information, we will investigate and comply with all reporting obligations.
8. Transmission of Health-Related Information
Easterseals understands the sensitivity of collecting and using health-related data. It is not Easterseals' intent to collect personally identifiable health-related information or PHI. If we do collect personally identifiable health-related information or PHI, it will not be used by or shared with entities other than Easterseals or our affiliate members, unless the information is de-identified. Any transfer of personally identifiable health-related data between Easterseals organizations will take place in a secure environment with access allowed only to certain qualified employees of Easterseals. Easterseals will comply with all regulations set forward by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). To learn more about HIPAA, visit the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Office for Civil Rights.
9. Retention of Personal Information
We will retain your information only for as long as necessary to achieve the purpose for which it was collected. This may mean that we will continue to retain certain information even after we stop providing our services directly or indirectly to you, after you delete your user profile, or cease interacting with us, as required by law or for our legitimate business purposes. We may also retain de-identified, aggregated, or anonymous information that does not identify a particular individual. In all cases where we retain data, we do so in accordance with limitation periods and record retention obligations that are imposed by applicable law.
10. Your Rights and Choices Regarding your Personal Information
Easterseals offers various rights that are consistent with state consumer privacy laws. Easterseals offers the option to access, correct, and delete your personal information. If you are a registered user of our website, you can access your Easterseals profile and update your contact information and user preferences by clicking here. Upon your request, we will delete, aggregate, or de-identify personal information related to you that is retained in our organizational databases, unless we are required to continue to retain the information in an identifiable format. To exercise your right to deletion, or to modify or correct your information other than through the link above, please contact us via a method set forth in the below "Contact Us" section.
You can also change your communication preferences and opt-in or opt-out of marketing communications from Easterseals. To opt-out of receiving email communications, postal mail or from participating in the list rental and exchange program, or to request a disclosure of list rental and exchange information, please follow the directions below.
- Email: If you are a registered user of easterseals.com, login to change your email preferences.You may also opt out of certain non-essential marketing email communications using the "unsubscribe" link at the bottom of the email.
- Postal Mail: Opt-out of postal mail solicitations
- List Rental and Exchange: Opt-out of list rental and exchange program
- Disclosure Request: Request disclosure of list rental and exchange practices
We will endeavor to fulfill all requests within a reasonable timeframe.
- Functionality. These cookies are necessary for us to ensure that the website functions properly.
- Security. These cookies are necessary for us to mitigate the risk of data breaches and similar attacks by ensuring that requests are submitted to our website from proper domains.
- Authentication. These cookies allow us to authenticate user requests and to maintain session information related to users.
- Preference. These cookies allow our website to remember which events you have signed up or registered for, the products you place in your shopping cart, and to recognize your device.
- Advertising. These cookies allow us to provide you with more relevant advertisements.
- Analytics. These cookies enable us to learn more about how users and visitors interact with our website, including pages visited, how much time is spent on each pages, and similar information. We use this information in aggregate.
- Third-Party. These cookies are placed by third parties such as Google and social media networks. These cookies track and monitor how you interact with our services and other websites, provide us insight into how you interact with our website (such as analytics), facilitate account registration and login, and also enable the sharing of content from our services to these third parties. We do not control the data use or sharing practices of these third parties. If you do not wish to accept third party cookies, we encourage you to update your browser settings accordingly.
- Chrome: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95647?hl=en
- Firefox: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/cookies-information-websites-store-on-your-computer
- Edge: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/delete-cookies-in-microsoft-edge-63947406-40ac-c3b8-57b9-2a946a29ae09
- Internet Explorer: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/delete-and-manage-cookies-168dab11-0753-043d-7c16-ede5947fc64d
- Safari: https://support.apple.com/guide/safari/manage-cookies-sfri11471/mac
12. International Transfers of Personal Information
Easterseals and all of its affiliate members are located in the United States, and all programming offered by Easterseals and its affiliate members occurs in the United States. Because of the global nature of the internet, the Easterseals website may be accessible from jurisdictions other than the United States, even though Easterseals does not operate, provide, or market its services outside of the United States. If you access the Easterseals website outside of the United States, your information will be transferred to and processed in the United States. Since the data protection laws of various countries differ, information transferred to the United States may not be subject to the same level of protection as the jurisdiction in which you reside. If you choose to access our website from a jurisdiction outside the United States, we rely on your consent to transfer the data to the United States. To the extent you do not consent to data transfers to the United States, please do not provide us with your personal information or visit our website.
13. Information from Children
Our website is not directed towards children under the age of 13. We do not knowingly collect personal information from anyone under the age of 13 through our website without parental consent. If you become aware that we have collected personal information from an individual under the age of 13 through our website without parental consent, please let us know so that we can take appropriate action.
14. Changes to this Notice
We may update this Privacy Notice from time to time. If we make material updates to this Notice, we will endeavor to provide you notice by placing a prominent notice on this website and/or sending an email notification of the change. We will also update the "last updated" date at the top of this policy. Any changes will be effective immediately on posting unless otherwise indicated. Continued use of our services after updates to our Notice will be deemed consent to the changes.
15. Contact Us
If you have any questions about this Notice or our information practices, please contact us by emailing us through this link or directly at email@example.com, calling us toll-free at 800-221-6827, or writing to us at:
Easter Seals, Inc.
Attn: Privacy Manager
141 W. Jackson Blvd
Chicago, IL 60604
Notice of Privacy Practices of Easter Seals Middle Georgia
This notice describes how medical information about you may be used and disclosed by the department and how you can get access to this information. Please review it carefully. This notice is effective April 14, 2003. It is provided to you pursuant to provisions of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 and related federal regulations. If you have questions about this Notice please contact the Departments' Privacy Officer or Division's Privacy Coordinator at the address below.
Easter Seals Middle Georgia is responsible for numerous programs which deal with medical and other confidential information. Both federal and state laws establish strict requirements for most programs regarding the disclosure of confidential information, and Easter Seals must comply with those laws. For situations where stricter disclosure requirements do not apply, this Notice of Privacy Practices describes how Easter Seals may use and disclose your protected health information for treatment, payment, health care operations and for certain other purposes. This notice also describes your rights to access and control your protected health information, and provides information about your right to make a complaint if you believe Easter Seals has improperly used or disclosed your "protected health information." Protected health information is information that may personally identify you and relates to your past, present, or future physical or mental health or condition and related health care services. Easter Seals is required to abide by the terms of this Notice of Privacy Practices by posting copies at its facilities, publication on the Department's website, in response to a telephone or facsimile request to the Privacy Officer, or in person at any facility where you receive services.
Uses and Disclosures of Protected Health Information:
Your protected health information may be used and disclosed by Easter Seals, its administrative and clinical staff, and others involved in your care and treatment for the purpose of providing health care services to you, and to assist in obtaining payment of your health care bills.
- a. Treatment: Your protected health information may be used to provide, coordinate, or manage your health care and any related services, including coordination of your health care with a third party that has your permission to have access to your protected health information, such as, for example, a health care professional who may be treating you, or to another health care provider such as a specialist or laboratory.
- b. Payment: Your protected health information may be used to obtain payment for your health care services. For example, this may include activities that a health insurance plan requires before it approves or pays for health care services such as: making a determination of eligibility or coverage, reviewing services provided to you for medical necessity, and undertaking utilization review activities.
- c. Health Care Operations: Easter Seals may use or disclose your protected health information to support the business activities of Easter Seals, including, for example, but not limited to, quality assessment activities, employee review activities, training, licensing, and other business activities. Your protected health information may be used to contact you about appointments or for other operational reasons. Your protected health information may be shared with third party "business associates" who perform various activities that assist us in the provision of your services.2.Other Permitted or Required Uses and Disclosures with Your Authorization or Opportunity to Object:
Other uses and disclosures of your protected health information will be made only with your written authorization, which you may revoke at any time, except as permitted or required by law as described below. Generally, if there is protected health information which identifies you as a person who has applied for or received substance abuse services, that information will not be disclosed without your consent unless the law allows or requires such a disclosure. Easter Seals may use and disclose your protected health information when you authorize in writing such use or disclosure of all or part of your protected health information. If you are hospitalized, Easter Seals may use and disclose certain protected health information to your representative, as that term is defined in the Georgia Mental Health Code, upon your admission or discharge; you may be given a chance to object to certain other disclosures to your representative.
Permitted or Required Uses and Disclosures without Your Authorization or Opportunity to Object:
Easter Seals may use or disclose your protected health information without your authorization for continuity of your care or for your treatment in an emergency or when clinically required; when required to do so by law; for public health purposes; to a person who may be at risk of contracting a communicable disease; to a health oversight agency; to an authority authorized to receive reports of abuse or neglect; in certain legal proceedings; and for certain law enforcement purposes. Protected health information may be also be disclosed without your authorization to a coroner or medical examiner, and to the legal representative of your estate.
Required Uses and Disclosure:
Under the law, Easter Seals must make disclosures to you and when required by the Secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services to investigate or determine Easter Seals compliance with the requirements of the Privacy Rule at 45 CFR Sections 164.500 et. seq.
The following is a statement of your rights with respect to your protected health information and a brief description of how you may exercise these rights.
- You have the right to inspect and copy your protected health information. You may inspect and obtain a copy of protected health information about you for as long as Easter Seals maintains the protected health information. This information includes medical and billing records and other records the company uses for making medical and other decisions about you. A reasonable, cost-based fee for copying, postage and labor expense may apply. Under federal law you may not inspect or copy psychotherapy notes; information compiled in anticipation of, or for use in, a civil, criminal, or administrative proceeding, or protected health information that is subject to a federal or state law prohibiting access to such information.
- You have the right to request restriction of your protected health information. You may ask Easter Seals not to use or disclose any part of your protected health information for the purposes of treatment, payment or healthcare operations, and not to disclose protected health information to family members or friends who may be involved in your care. Such a request must state the specific restriction requested and to whom you want the restriction to apply. Easter Seals is not required to agree to a restriction you request, and if Easter Seals believes it is in your best interest to permit use and disclosure of your protected health information, your protected health information will not be restricted, except as required by law. If Easter Seals does agree to the request restriction, Easter Seals Middle Georgia may not use or disclose your protected health information in violation of that restriction unless it is needed to provide emergency treatment.
- You have the right to request to receive confidential communications from us by alternative means or at an alternative location. Upon written request to a person listed in section 6 below, Easter Seals will accommodate reasonable requests for alternative means of the communication of confidential information, but may condition this accommodation upon your provision of an alternative address or other method of contact. Easter Seals will not request an explanation from you as to the basis for the request.
- You may have the right to request amendment of your protected health information. If Easter Seals Middle Georgia created your protected health information, you may request an amendment of that information for as long as it is maintained by Easter Seals. Easter Seals may deny your request for an amendment, and if it does so, will provide information as to any further rights you may have with respect to such denial. Please contact one of the persons listed in section 6 below if you have questions about amending your medical information.
- You have the right to receive an accounting of certain disclosures Easter Seals has made of your protected health information. This right applies only to disclosures for purposes other than treatment, payment or healthcare operations, excluding any disclosures Easter Seals made to you, to family members or friends involved in your care, or for national security, intelligence or notification purposes. You have the right to receive legally specified information regarding disclosures occurring after April 14, 2003, subject to certain exceptions, restrictions and limitations.
- You have the right to obtain a paper copy of this notice from Easter Seals, upon request.
You may complain to us and to the United States Secretary of Health and Human Services if you believe your privacy rights have been violated. You may file a complaint by notifying the Privacy Officer of the basis for your complaint. Easter Seals will not retaliate against you for filing a complaint. You may contact the Privacy Officer by telephone (478) 275-8850, facsimile (478) 275-8852, or by mail to P. O. Box 847, Dublin, Georgia 31040, OR to the staff for further information about the complaint process or this notice.