Informational and Referral Services
#ResolveToRespect in action
National Easterseals has gathered some of the best information from around the web about respect, inclusion and accessibility that we would like to share with you. Here's to making 2022 a year of respect.
- What About Dignity and Respect? When Our Disability Attitudes Fail Us (via EllenStumbo.com)
- 7 things the autistic person in your workplace needs from you (via Medium)
- 4 Texts That Get It Right About Invisible Disabilities (via The Huffington Post)
- Did You Know? Etiquette of Service Animals(via Center for Disability Rights)
- When People Tell Me I 'Can't Be Autistic (via The Mighty)
- Ten Ways to Make Conferences Accessible to People with Disabilities (via 42Hire.com)
- Disability | How You See Me (via Soul Pancake)
- What It is Like Lip Reading [Video] (via Jessica Flores)
COVID19 State Referral Links/Resources
As the state responds to this crisis, here are some helpful links for resources that people might need. Please, consider sharing this with folks whom you think need it.
- File for unemployment: http://bit.ly/3a2qARW
- Talk mental health: text PA to 741-741
- Apply for Medicaid: http://on.pa.gov/compass
- Apply for SNAP: http://on.pa.gov/compass
- Apply for WIC: Call 1-800-942-9467
- Home heating help: http://on.pa.gov/LIHEAP
- Vote by mail ballot: http://VotesPA.com/ApplyMailBallot
- Get tax answers: http://revenue-pa.custhelp.com
- Learn about school closures: http://education.pa.gov/COVID19
- Access driver services: http://dmv.pa.gov/online-services
- Receive text alerts: http://on.pa.gov/AlertPA
And, consider signing up for Allegheny Alerts if you haven’t already for the latest information and community news from the county.
Social Service Resources
The Social Services Department offers supportive services for individuals and families, including information and referral services to programs and services in the community.
Family Support Services, including parents and sibling groups are also available.
Other Resources/Links of Importance
IDEA - Informs professionals, families and the public about strategies to improve educational results for children and youth with disabilities.
Pennsylvania Parents and Caregivers Resources Network - Supports parents' and caregivers' efforts to help their children and adult family members with developmental disabilities.
Special Kids Network - Connects families with a broad range of services by linking, coordinating and making sense of the many services and systems that are already available.
Allegheny County Office of Developmental Supports - Provides service coordination services through a number of contracted agencies.
Pennsylvania Developmental Disabilities Council - Seeks new ways to ensure that services and supports for people with disabilities draw on the resources of the whole community, and not simply upon segregated government-sponsored programs.
Pennsylvania Department of Human Resources Aging & Disabilities - supports a comprehensive array of services and supports for people with intellectual disabilities.
Pennsylvania Office of Vocational Rehabilitation - Provides services to help persons with disabilities prepare for, start, and maintain employment.
Pennsylvania Office of Mental Health Housing - Provides assistance on meeting the housing needs of people with mental illness.
Pennsylvania Department of Aging - Advocates for the interests of older Pennsylvanians.
US Department of Veteran Affairs - Family members and friends play a critical role in a Veteran’s life, especially during difficult times. Support is available every day to Veterans, Service members, and their families and friends to help them connect with resources for managing life’s challenges and finding solutions that improve their lives. Launched in 2011 by the US Department of Veteran Affairs, MakeTheConnection.net provides this valuable information.