Who We Are banner graphic

Meet Maggie!

After two months in the hospital, Maggie was living in a therapeutic sober living home, recovering from open-heart surgery stemming from IV drug use. Unfortunately, due to negative behavior, she was asked to leave home. She remained in medically-assisted treatment, and, again, her behavior required her to be terminated from that program as well. This meant that she was no longer able to participate in medical detox from drugs. Her Easterseals Family Engagement Specialist and the Department of Children & Families' social worker helped Maggie find inpatient treatment through Family Time Coaching.

She entered inpatient treatment and successfully detoxed from Methadone. While in treatment, Easterseals arranged for Maggie to receive substance abuse and mental health treatment. Upon her release from inpatient treatment, Maggie began seeing a local counselor to help her get back on track. Additionally, she met weekly with a recovery coach. As she made progress in Family Time Coaching, her court appearances decreased, and Maggie made it a priority to participate in recovery center groups and community events. She even shared her story at the State House for Recovery Day. After much hard work, Maggie received conditional custody of her son in January 2016 and began making him a priority in her life. She supported his desire to get involved with sports, made sure he attended doctor appointments, and also attended school meetings.

When Maggie graduated after 11 months, she no longer needed any prescribed medications for her mental health and substance abuse disorders. She gained full custody of her son, achieved 14 months of sobriety, and became a role model to her program peers. Although Maggie faced struggles during the program, she refocused quickly and remained determined to succeed for her son.

Several months after graduating, Maggie was able to find employment and secure her apartment. One evening, she watched a video of a father telling his son that his mother had died of a drug overdose. The footage reminded her someone could very likely have had this conversation with her son. Maggie is alive today because of the support she received and, for that, she is forever grateful.

Powered by Blackbaud
nonprofit software