Part-time PART_TIME ; posted: Wednesday, Jan 1 2020
1217 W Houston Ave
McAllen, Texas 78501 US
Phone: (956) 631-9171
Creates new medical records and retrieves existing medical records by gathering appropriate record folders and contents; assigning and recording new record numbers; verifying existing record numbers; inputting and recording locations to computer; delivering records. Responsible for data collection and entry of patient demographic and financial information, charges codes and other pertinent information in the billing software system for the organization for programs and services.
1. Gathers patient information by collecting demographic information from a variety of sources, interacting with registration areas and physicians' offices.
2. Maintains master patient index by completing assigned portion of daily audit trail; corrects and communicates problems according to established standard operating procedures.
3. Initiates the medical record by creating and processing the patient care record folder.
4. Maintains record availability by processing charts into the department; using chart mark-off procedures; facilitating chart location activities.
5. Retrieves medical records by following chart-out procedures; documenting reasons charts cannot be retrieved for statistical and follow-up purposes.
6. Makes charts available to designated staff by following established standard operating procedures.
7. Keeps designated staff informed by communicating availability or unavailability of the MR record.
8. Maintains quality results by following Easterseals RGV standards.
9. Maintains continuity of work operations by documenting and communicating actions, irregularities, and continuing needs.
10. Secure Medical Referral renewals from appropriate physicians as needed.
11. Assist Billing and Collection Supervisor in maintaining the billing system in an up-to-date status.
12. Work with the different team members to gather information on ECI children that are required to complete ECI reports.
13. Assist in preparation of monthly and quarterly reports regarding both the program and patients.
14. Secure prior authorization for Medicaid, CHIPS, Insurance
15. Assists with entering billing data (charge codes) for areas including therapy, Target Case Management, DRS, etc.
16. Assist with filing, daily mail, answering the telephone/ communication system, patient chart preparation, take and log patient referrals, and other miscellaneous duties as may be periodically requested.
17. Responsible for strict HIPAA regulations compliance and adherence to Easterseals RGV’s HIPAA policies by maintaining patient confidence and keeping patient records information confidential.
18. Serves and protects Easterseals staff by adhering to professional standards, Easterseals RGV policies and procedures, federal, state, and local requirements.
19. Enhances medical records and Easterseals RGV’s reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
• Graduation from high school or GED equivalent with specialized course work in general office practices such as typing, filing, accounting and bookkeeping.
• Certified/Associates in Medical Billing and Coding or related field, preferred.
• One-year previous experience in a receptionist/secretarial/clerical capacity.
• Computer knowledge to include, word-processing, database management and spreadsheets.
• Excellent grammar and spelling skills, essential.
• Good time management skills, excellent follow through abilities and detail oriented.
• Ability to work well with others and in a team environment.
• Bilingual capabilities required.