Join now to receive breaking news from Capitol Hill Legislative Action Network
Each year, Easterseals Massachusetts focuses on local state initiatives in order to advance various issues that are important to people living in the state with a disability. Below are ways to get involved as well as a synopsis of the major legislative priorities in 2021.
LEGISLATIVE ACTION ALERT 2021
|Take Action Now!|
Legislative Priorities 2021
1. Easterseals will seek to add $630,000 to The Massachusetts Rehabilitation Commission’s (MRC) budget line item 4120-4000 to fund these two important programs:
- The Massachusetts Alternative Finance Program, operated by Easterseals Massachusetts, is an alternative financing project that gives people with disabilities and elders access to low interest cash loans to purchase assistive devices and services.
- The Durable Medical Equipment Reuse Program, operated by REquipment, Inc. collects and refurbishes gently-used durable medical equipment (DME) for distribution to seniors, veterans and people with disabilities of all ages
2. Easterseals will seek to increase the commonwealth's commitment to the employment of people with disabilities.
We will work to get the state to require companies who contract with the Executive Offices of the Commonwealth to commit to hiring people with disabilities and training all employees involved in hiring decisions on the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act. We will also advocate to have the state hire more people with disabilities as state employees and continue to be a Model Employer. Click Here for more information.
3. Easterseals will support the Youth Programs' advocacy for Disability History to be taught in public school curriculum. Get Involved and learn more.
Easterseals MA strongly encourages everyone to vote.
Easterseals Massachusetts is a member of the Disability Voting Task Force and encourages people with disabilities to register to vote, to get educated on the candidates and issues, and to get to the polls! http://revupma.org/wp/
How to register to vote: https://www.sec.state.ma.us/ovr/
Voting information for people with disabilities: http://www.sec.state.ma.us/ele/eleaccessible/accessibleidx.htm
Find your State Senator and Representative: malegislature.gov
Search online for any disability issue: https://www.disabilityinfo.org/
Massachusetts Office on Disability, DISABILITY RIGHTS LAWS IN MASSACHUSETTS (PDF): http://www.mass.gov/anf/docs/mod/disability-law-booklet.pdf
List of Massachusetts Independent Living Centers: http://www.masilc.org/membership/cils
The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) was passed in 1990. Easterseals was a leading advocate for this act and actively lobbied in Washinton, D.C., and nationwide. Find out about the history of this act and what Easterseals is doing today! Click here to find out more.