Easterseals UCP History
Easterseals UCP has been part of the fabric of North Carolina and Virginia for 75 years. We started in counties all over NC and VA filling gaps and addressing the needs of children and adults with disabilities. Our legacy organizations Easterseals NC, United Cerebral Palsy NC, and Easterseals Virginia joined forces as Easterseals UCP to intentionally work side-by-side with more than 20,000 individuals and their families, providing the broad network of services and support they need to achieve better days.
Today we are affiliated with both Easterseals, Inc. and United Cerebral Palsy Inc. Every day we work hard to deliver exceptional services to help children and adults with disabilities live, learn, work and play in their own community.
- Easterseals NC, UCP of NC, and Easterseals VA are each founded independently in response to the needs of families with children with disabilities
- Easterseals quickly becomes a leader in care for children with polio
- UCP focuses on children with cerebral palsy
- Easterseals VA builds a summer camp in Craig County, VA for children and adults
- Easterseals builds a summer camp in Moore County, NC for children and adults
- UCP creates special needs childcare in local churches and later builds children’s centers
- Easterseals NC and UCP of NC each centralize their respective headquarters in Raleigh
1980’s – 1990’s
- Easters Seals develops home-based respite, family support, stroke clubs, school and home based pediatric therapy and home health care services
- Easterseals sells its NC camp and creates camping opportunities in traditional camps throughout NC
- UCP includes typical children in child care programs to build an inclusive learning environment
- Carolina Group Homes (CGH) merges with UCP NC
- Supported Employment Training merges with UCP NC and helps people with disabilities move out of sheltered workshops into meaningful jobs
- Carolinas Caring Connection merges with UCP NC, expanding group homes and respite services
- Easterseals NC and UCP of NC merge to form Easterseals North Carolina
- Easterseals UCP expands mental health services by merging with Family Youth Incorporated and ASAP
- Easterseals UCP North Carolina and Easterseals Virginia merge to address needs of children, adults and families in both states
- June 2016 Easterseals UCP became Easterseals UCP with new branding, messaging and logo
Americans With Disabilities Act
Easterseals also advocates for the passage of legislation to help people with disabilities achieve independence, including the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Passed in 1990, the ADA prohibits discrimination against anyone who has a mental or physical disability, guaranteeing the civil rights of people with disabilities.
At the core of the Easterseals organization is a common passion for caring, shared by its 23,000 staff members and thousands of volunteers, and by those who support its mission. This heartfelt commitment to helping people with disabilities and their families is what Easterseals is all about.
Read more about the American with Disabilities Act and Easterseals UCP