Key Safety Considerations for People with Disabilities
Use these questions to help begin an emergency planning process.
- Do you need help with personal care, or use adaptive equipment to meet your personal care needs?
- What assistance would you need in an emergency?
- What would you do if water or electricity were cut off?
- Do you need accessible transportation?
- Do you need assistance to leave your home or office?
- How will you need to be alerted to an emergency?
- If elevators are not working, do you have a back-up plan?
- Who will be available and know how to help you exit?
- Will you need mobility aids to exit?
- Will you need back-up mobility aids when you reach a safe place?
- Do you need medical supplies available in a safe place?
- Will you need assistance in training and caring for a service animal?
- Who needs to know where you will be after an emergency evacuation?