Barn Assistants at Pappas Rehabilitation Hospital for Children in Canton, MA
Easter Seals Massachusetts
Responsible for feeding and cleaning up after various animals, assisting with barn programs/activities, and motivating students with significant disabilities to fully participate at their optimal level in barn programming.
- Open, close & respond to severe weather procedures of Therapeutic Equestrian Center
- Assist in the educational and social development of students by leading a variety of individual and group barn activities according to student’s functional level under the direction and guidance of the Barn Manager.
- Follow the guidelines established for the care, grooming, and maintenance of the horses, goats, pigs, rabbit and cats thereby providing an optimal environment for their participation in riding sessions.
- Clean stalls/crates/cages, add shavings, clean water and feed buckets, sweep aisle, and dump muck buckets. Clean and maintain tack.
- Monitor volunteers and students during assigned periods within the barn environments (e.g. barn activity areas, indoor, rest rooms, hallways, special events, transportation and other area parking lots, etc.) for the purpose of providing a safe and positive learning environment
- Knowledge of the basic principles and techniques of therapeutic equine recreation, the types and uses of materials & equipment used in equine activities, safety practices and procedures followed in general equine activities, a variety of individual and group barn activities
- Knowledge and skills regarding age specific physiological changes, developmental needs, adapted equipment and wheelchair safety.
- Knowledge of motivational and reinforcement techniques in the area of barn activities.
Easter Seals is an equal opportunity employer that values the strength diversity brings to the workplace. People with disabilities and minorities are strongly encouraged to apply.