Peer Connections® is a transition program offered in Salt Lake City, Utah County and St. George, Utah. It is designed to help students ages 16-24 with significant social communication issues establish and enhance their relational skills, while exploring work and career activities.
This program fills an existing service gap for these students by providing opportunities for regular social interactions with a peer of similar age during a structured community service activity.
Peer Connections provides real world experience in an employment setting focusing on the following essential employment skills:
- Following a work schedule; completing work on time; accepting instructions; and receiving feedback from a supervisor
- Making friends and participating in small talk with coworkers
- Developing coping strategies to manage stress, frustration and anxiety in the work place
- Establishing appropriate boundaries with regards to personal space, information and private vs. public behaviors and conversations
Overview of Peer Connections activities:
- An in-depth application process will match teens by employment interests and personality
- Teens will be referred to the Vocational Rehabilitation (USOR) for eligibility – a program requirement
- Peers will be assigned a host agency to conduct weekly volunteer service based on their interests and needs
- Students are required to perform a total of 3 hours of community service/job training a week for 9 weeks
- Our Peer Connections Coordinator will be there each step of the way to provide appropriate feedback and coaching
If you're interested in learning more about Peer Connections, enrolling as a participant or becoming a mentor, please contact:
Crystal Emery at (801) 376-6012