Lose the Training Wheels
Easter Seals DuPage and Fox Valley and Lose the Training Wheels, Inc. team up to provide this five day program. Lose the Training Wheels is designed to help children who currently ride a two wheel bike with training wheels to ride without the training wheels. Using a series of specially designed bicycles and knowledge of the mechanics of steering, balance, motor learning, and postural techniques, each child reaches his/her bike-riding potential.
Who Should Participate?
To benefit from this program, child must be at least 8 years old and meet these prerequisites:
- Child has desire to ride a two-wheel bike.Child is able to keep feet on pedals without the use of straps or pedal blocks.
- Child has the balance necessary to walk briskly without assistive devices.
- Child can take rapid side steps in both directions.
- Child has the stamina to practice pedaling for 1-1.5 hours.
- Child has the vision and or spatial awareness needed to avoid obstacles.
- Child is able to pay attention to training exercises and is willing to respond to directions.
- Child has all limbs and ability to grip all bars.
- Among children who meet all of these criteria, there is 80% success rate for learning to ride a two-wheel bike without training wheels by day 5.
How Do I Get Started?
Getting started is easy! Contact our Intake Coordinator at 630.282.2026 to ask questions or schedule an appointment.