I Can Bike
Easterseals DuPage & Fox Valley and I Can Shine team up to provide this five day program. I Can Bike is designed to help children who currently ride a two wheel bike with training wheels to ride without the training wheels. Using a series of specially designed bicycles and knowledge of the mechanics of steering, balance, motor learning, and postural techniques, each child reaches his/her bike-riding potential.
Who Should Participate?
To benefit from this program, child must be at least 8 years old and meet these prerequisites:
- Child has desire to ride a two-wheel bike. Child is able to keep feet on pedals without the use of straps or pedal blocks.
- Child has the balance necessary to walk briskly without assistive devices.
- Child can take rapid side steps in both directions.
- Child has the stamina to practice pedaling for 1-1.5 hours.
- Child has the vision and or spatial awareness needed to avoid obstacles.
- Child is able to pay attention to training exercises and is willing to respond to directions.
- Child has all limbs and ability to grip all bars.
- Among children who meet all of these criteria, there is 80% success rate for learning to ride a two-wheel bike without training wheels by day 5.
Program is not currently offered at this time. To see all current programs, please click here.