Curriculum and Activities
Curriculum and Instruction
All School Programs: K-12
Easterseals aims to provide our students with as many opportunities as possible to engage in age-appropriate social and leisure activities, as well as to gain important community experiences.Our teams of specialized staff utilize a total communication approach (i.e. augmentative communication devices, sign language, visual cues, gestures, etc.), to maximize the learning opportunities. Students participate in a wide range of activities from functional academics and life skills to vocational training and supported or independent employment. Classroom placement is determined by the age and instructional needs of students.
- All classrooms offer integrated therapies, small class sizes, high staff to student ratios, and individualized programming.
- Instructional strategies are based on the evidence-based practices recommended by the National Autism Center and National Professional Development Center for Autism Spectrum Disorders.
For students over the age of 14 ½, programming includes integration of evidence-based recommendations from the National Technical Assistance Center on Transition (NTACT).
The Core Curriculum Map is aligned with age and grade appropriate academic instructional activities and the Illinois Learning Standards and Common Core Career and College Readiness Standards.
Use of Community Based Instruction for all students, increasing in the intensity and frequency with which it is provided as the student ages, in the following areas:
- Career Development
- Community Service Utilization
- Personal Management
- Recreation/Leisure Skills
- Social Skills
Curriculum and Resources
- Learning A-Z Programs
- Everyday Math
- Early Literacy Skills Builder
- Accessible Literacy Learning (ALL)
- Attainment Company's "Teaching to Standards" Series
- Attainment Company's "Explore" Series
- Handwriting Without Tears
- Unique Learning Curriculum
We host many special activities and events throughout the year, which may include:
- Community Outings
- Special Olympic Events and Training
- Holiday Programs
- Field Days
- Community Training
- Open House
- Staff and Student Appreciation Days
- Talent Show
- Therapy Dogs
Parents/guardians are notified of upcoming activities and events throughout the school year. Many of our events and activities provide opportunities for parents and families to share unique experiences with their student. We highly encourage parent/guardian participation in our various activities.