Direct Support Professional - Winfield/Arkansas City, KS
Tuesday, Sep 4 2018
Easterseals Capper Foundation
Send resume to:
1500 E. 8th Ave., Ste. 201
Winfield, Kansas 67156
To apply online for a Direct Support Professional position, visit our ADP Workforce Now portal.
Download Posting: escf-dsp-02-2018.pdf
The primary function of the Direct Support Professional is to support the purpose of Easterseals Capper Foundation by exhibition of the following behaviors: ability and commitment to identify strengths, genuine respect for diverse perspectives and life styles, a capacity to listen and reflect, skill and creativity in helping people become more aware and confident of their own abilities, to help the individual or group assume decision-making and action, knowledge about how to gain access to information and ability to reflect and criticize ongoing process, including one’s own role in those processes.
- Assists persons served to increase their independence and exercise their rights by teaching skills in various activities of daily living (self-care, care of the household or work area, communication, leisure, etc.) according to formal plans and as natural teaching opportunities arise.
- Transport individuals served for outings and ensure that individuals are kept safe.
- Prepares meals and snacks based on nutritional guidelines.
- Assists persons served to reduce inappropriate behaviors and to learn appropriate replacement behaviors by implementing approved behavioral support procedures.
- Assists in maintaining the health, hygiene, and grooming of persons served by implementing health care and hygiene techniques according to instructions or plans and, if properly certified, by administering medications according to stated policies and procedures.
- Documents care and assistance, behavioral support and teaching techniques implemented, and compliance with various standards through accurate and timely completion of data sheets, checklists, records and schedules.
- Understand the various levels of participation individuals may display in activities and how to encourage participation in Person Centered Support Plans.
- Participates in the planning process by attending various staff and team meetings and Person-Centered Support Plan meetings.
- Support the purpose and practices of Easter Seals Capper Foundation and participate in organizational activities.
- Follow organizational policies.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Staff may be required to have a valid driver’s license to work specific sites and shifts.
- Must be able to pass background checks.
- Knowledge of and ability to perform support/intervention techniques (requiring lifting, bending, kneeling, stooping, reaching, blocking, grabbing).
- Knowledge of basic cooking techniques, cooking skills, and ability to follow menus and recipes.
- Ability to handle unpleasant personal care tasks with sensitivity and caring, while maintaining a professional demeanor.
- Read, write and speak fluent English; skill in composing clear, concise reports; and ability to recognize and utilize alternative communication methods.
- Ability to work independently, give and accept constructive feedback in a team approach and consultative approach to training and service delivery.
Please see the attached document for the complete job description.