For Immediate Release
Back to School
Helpful tips to prepare your child for a successful year
North Carolina and Virginia, August 25, 2016
At Easterseals UCP, we know that transitioning from summer to school can be a challenging time. We have prepared some helpful tips to make entering school or back to season easier.
- Prepare: Talk to your child about the school in advance. Discuss what they might expect including their teachers, friends, activities and rest time.
- Visit: Take the child to visit the center and meet the teachers. Ask if your child's school is having an open house to make sure they attend.
- Practice: Make practice runs to the school to help get your child accustomed to the new schedule and familiar with the school itself.
- Change Routine: Reduce electronics at the end of the summer.
- Transition: Sending a home to school transitional object such as a favorite toy, blanket or book is often helpful to ease anxiety.
- Photos: Consider sending a picutre of yourself or your family that your child can keep close by.
- Info: Be sure that the school has current and accurate contact information and emergency information.
- Practice: Plan and possibly "practice" the new morning and afternoon routines before school starts.
- Schedule: Prepare a written or visual schedule for children with autism and other developmental delays.
- Sensory Tools: Make sure your child has sensory needs, reinforcers, and a method of communication.
- Stay positive!
Tips for Children with Autism and Special Needs
Learn about our Children's Centers